The Marriage of Art and Science, "Bacteriography."
It’s often been thought art and science are opposing disciplines, yet Bacteriography by Zachary Copfer has proven the opposite. Using a creative and unusual technique, the former microbiologist who recently turned visual artist has been developing photos in bacteria.
Except for some major changes in material, Bacteriography follows a process very similar to traditional photo developing. In place of light sensitive photographic paper and exposing it to light, he uses genetically altered E coli in a petri dish, exposing it to short-wavelength ultraviolet radiation. Once the bacterial growth (the image) is satisfactory, the bacteriograph is refrigerated before it undergoes another round of radiation to kill any microbes. Then it is sealed with a layer of acrylic. After stopping the reaction—much like you would the development of film—he uses the plates to print photos. Pretty genius, really.
Check out Copfer’s bacteriographs over at his website, including the especially impressive series called “My Favorite Scientists.”
View the step-by-step process.
Enormous Limited Time Savings
for top quality new inventory!
Suitable for many laboratory procedures requiring pure water
Tested to meet specifications according to Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 21st edition, 9020:ll Quality of Reagent Water Used in Microbiology Testing, and NELAC 4.1, Requirements for Laboratory Pure Water.
When ordering, please add the promotional code MN1212 in the Promotional Code or Comments section of the online order form. You can also call in the order at 800-328-8378 or fax the order to 609-584-8388. The adjusted price will not show up on your online confirmation, but rest assured that we will add it to your order during processing.
Ideal for air quality, clean area, and food and beverage applications
The RCS air sampler delivers reliable reproducible results for applications assessing the quality of ambient air. Sampler operates on impaction principle, drawing airborne microorganisms onto an agar media strip for later incubation and analysis. Rugged housing is chrome-plated brass with autoclavable, aluminum impeller blade and drum.
- Factory calibrated for use with the HYCON media strips
- Lightweight, compact design for portability and ease of use
- Centrifugal motion draws sample at 40 L/min at a particle size of 4 µm diameter
- Five preset sampling volumes of 20, 40, 80, 160 and 320L – 0.5, 1, 2, 4 or 8 minutes – with a sampling accuracy of = 2%
- Autoclavable head and fan
- Automated shut-down function
- Used with standardized and ready-to-use media or pour your own
- Order batteries, power adapter, and agar strips separately.
Purchase a new ROSS pH electrode and receive a year’s worth of pH buffers and storage solution
plus an electrode storage bottle free!
The best choice for your pH measurement needs, Thermo Scientific™ Orion® ROSS® pH electrodes offer unsurpassed accuracy and trouble-free measurements in a variety of sizes and styles for every application.
All ROSS pH electrodes are TRIScompatible so they can be used in almost any sample including proteins and sulfides, and are free of silver and mercury to prevent sample contamination.
Take advantage of this limited-time ROSS pH Electrode Promotion
Offer valid November 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012
- Purchase a qualifying Thermo Scientific Orion ROSS pH electrode.
Click Here for the Promotion form, complete and select the appropriate pH buffer kit for your desired measurement range.
- Fax this form with a copy of the original invoice or packing slip to 978-232-1042.
Weber Scientific Sterile Sampling Whirl-Bags
Save money – comparable to Whirl-Pak‚ but without
the famous brand
- Sterile, single service bags are made of heavy transparent polyethylene.
- Leak-proof and airtight.
- Puncture-proof tabs.
- Capacity is measured when the bag is closed and tab is folded over 3 times. Volume and dimensions are approximate.
- Bags should not be used at temperatures above 180ºF (82ºC). Bags can be frozen to any temperature.
- Write-on strips have a paper-like and smear-resistant finish and can be written on with an ordinary ballpoint pen, pencil or marker.
- Double round wire closures.
In This Issue:
Monthly Web Special
FREE Pocket Calendar with Memo Pad
Yours FREE with every order for $100 or more
Stay organized in 2013 with this weekly pocket calendar. The calendar has a soft leather-feel cover in brown and tan, debossed burnished date design, detailed stitching and matching ribbon page marker so it looks great all year. Includes a 50 sheet memo pad, a weekly format calendar with color maps and helpful reference pages. Now you will never miss an appointment.
Item size: 6"(H) x 3.5"(W).
Hurry – while supplies last!
Click here for details! Please include the promotional code WS1212 when placing an order via website, phone or fax.
Giving to the Needy is a Weber Scientific Tradition
Since recent Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey, the need is greater than ever to donate to food banks across the area. The employees of Weber Scientific are continuing the tradition with the annual Holiday Food Drive. This year our goal is to top last years record donation of 170 lbs. of non-perishable food items. Food collected will be donated to Grafton House/Hamilton Recreation, to help needy families in the Hamilton area.
HAVE YOU RECEIVED A COPY OF OUR 2012-13 CATALOG?
Our 2012-13 specialized 265-page Buyer’s Guide is dedicated to dairy, food and water testing. Inside, you'll find many exclusive and hard-to-find items, not to mention other great reasons to go with Weber:
Request your 2012-13 catalog today!
- Heavily discounted prices without any of the hassle
- Free freight upgrades and expedited service at our expense--not yours
- No-nonsense 100% Satisfaction Guarantee so you can order with complete confidence
Weber Scientific can special order, promptly and at a competitive price, just about any item, large or small,
that you might need for your laboratory. Simply call (800) 328-8378 or email email@example.com.
©2012 Weber Scientific, Inc.
All rights reserved.